New Orleans’ second oldest neighborhood, Algiers Point is populated with turn-of-the-century homes - some dating back to the 1840s. Its quiet 19th century small town atmosphere is far removed from the hustle and bustle of the French Quarter located directly across the Mississippi River.
This bucolic community enjoys the same churches, schools, corner groceries, restaurants and neighborhood businesses which have existed for years. The Central Business District is only a ferry ride away making for one of the easiest, leisurely commutes to work each day.
With some of the most affordable housing in the city, Algiers Point is considered by many of her residents as "New Orleans' best kept secret."
History of Algiers Point
Algiers was initially granted to Jean- Baptiste Lemoyne, Sieur de Bienville, founder of New Orleans, in 1719. Originally, it was the site of the French settlement's slaughterhouse and thus referred to a “Slaughterhouse Point.” The colonists also housed their powder magazine on the Point as Powder Street attests.The village grew rapidly - due in part to the Algiers/Canal Street Ferry which began service in 1827 and has been in continuous operation ever since. In the 1850s, the area’s railroad yard grew and flourished in the Elmira-Pacific-Atlantic area, eventually employing three to four thousand Algiers residents. The town of Algiers was annexed by the City of New Orleans in 1870. In 1904 Martin Behrman became the first Algerine to become mayor of the city. He served five terms ending in 1926.
In its almost 300 year history, Algiers Point has suffered a devastating fire, blight, and crime, and has come back as one of the premier historic neighborhoods in the city.
Where is Algiers Point?
The Algiers Point Historic District is bounded by the curve of the Mississippi River on two sides and by Atlantic and Newton Streets on the other two. Algiers Point is geographically isolated from the rest of the city of New Orleans by the natural barrier of the Mississippi River and this has served to ensure its development as a village within a city.